Monday, January 21, 2013

Fundraising Ideas

Photo courtesy of MS Office / iStockphoto

In January 2007, I first learned about Team in Training.  I was running the Walt Disney World marathon, and  was surrounded by a sea of people in purple shirts.  Being curious, I asked one of the runners in purple why they were all wearing matching shirts.  The runner, a TNT participant from the South Florida Chapter, enthusiastically told me all about Team in Training.  Her enthusiasm made me want to sign up that very day.  So, why did it take me well over a year to sign up?  One word:  fundraising.  I found the idea of raising money quite daunting.  Before mailing out my letters and meeting my fundraising mentors, I was terrified that I wouldn't reach my fundraising goal.

But once I joined the team, I learned how fun and easy fundraising can be.  First, I was amazed at how many people responded to the fundraising letters that I sent in the mail.  Second, I took advantage of the team fundraisers.  Our team had several group fundraisers, including a night working at Sonic Drive-In and a large garage sale.  Additionally, I did a few individual fundraisers.  For example, I covered old protein powder canisters in purple paper and had a canister drive at a local grocery store.  Fundraising quickly changed from something I was dreading, so something positive and enjoyable.  When you reach your fundraising goal, you really feel like you are making a difference in the fight against blood cancers!

That being said, I know that there times when TNT participants can feel discouraged about fundraising.  In fact, the teammate that I see everyday (i.e., the one who's stuck with me for life), thinks the fundraising will be more challenging than the physical training.  Since he asked me to help him fund-raise, I have been scouring the internet searching for more fundraising ideas.  In this search, I found a wonderful and helpful list of fundraising ideas on the LLS website.  There are some great ideas here:  http://www.lls.org/content/chaptercontent/li/pdf/fundraisingideas.

And if you still find fundraising a bit daunting, remember that we have some amazing mentors this season!  They'd be happy to help you!  The mentors and coaches all want to see you succeed, so be sure to reach out to us if you need anything!

GO TEAM!

- Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment